Then, the more I thought about it the more I realized “Ya know. Our house faces the same direction their house does. And the sun shines on the front of our house all day. I wonder if my shutters look as faded too?”
First, I looked into replacing the shutters themselves. But, for $30 for two shutters I wondered if there wasn’t a cheaper way to freshen things up.
So, naturally, I checked out Pinterest. I didn’t really find much in the way of step-by-step instructions, but I did find some fun color inspiration and decided to try and paint them instead of replacing them completely.
After agonizing over what color to choose for a few weeks I finally pulled the trigger on a dark gray, color place(cheap Walmart brand-$20 for a gallon), exterior satin paint.
This ended up being a super cheap and easy project and I wish I had done it a long time(read: years) ago.
First, I had Jim unscrew them from the brick for me.
Then, we hosed them off and I scrubbed them down with steel wool and warm soapy water. We left them in the sun to dry.
They only took one coat to be completely covered and look brand new. They dried for an afternoon and then were ready to be hung back up!